Traditional, golden fried potato cakes are delicious in their simplicity.
These pancakes are best made immediately before serving.
- 2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 onions, shredded, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, thyme, salt and pepper; mix well. Place in a colander and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Pour half the vegetable oil and half the olive oil into a large nonstick skillet; heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with additional salt. Repeat with remaining potato mixture and oil. Serve immediately.