Potato Cheese Soup with Ham
Ham, cheese, potato—like a loaded baked potato in a soup bowl.
This soup is super versatile -- use any kind of cheese, or use dry white wine instead of beer. Any kind of milk will work, too.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounce lean ham, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 8 cup peeled and coarsely chopped potatoes (russets or Yukon golds, about 3 pounds)
- 3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 cup beer
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ham, onion and carrot. Saute to 10 minutes. Cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour half the soup into a food processor and process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add beer and cheese and cook until cheese melts. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.