Fresh Summer Squash Casserole
Colorful, peak-season vegetables meld with pasta in the cheesy, creamy casserole.
Whole-milk ricotta makes this casserole extra creamy, but the part-skim variety will work just as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounce whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 6 ounce feta cheese or combination of goat and feta cheeses
- 1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 12 ounce cooked short pasta (such as gemelli or penne)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add tomatoes and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Combine ricotta, feta and milk in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, zucchini, cheese mixture and basil; stir gently.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle butter evenly over top. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano, if using. Cover and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.