Banana Bread with Toasted Walnuts
This version of banana bread has less oil for fewer calories and some whole-wheat flour for more nutrition—but you wouldn't know it from the taste.
It’s hard to imagine banana bread without nuts. This lower-fat version has a small amount of walnuts, toasted to enhance their flavor, and fiber-rich whole-wheat flour.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Combine banana, sugar, egg, egg whites, buttermilk and oil; beat with a mixer a medium speed until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until evenly blended. Stir in walnuts. Pour into pan.
- Bake 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.