Banana Cream Pie
Classic and creamy banana custard in a graham cracker crust. Don't forget to pile it high with airy, homemade whipped cream!
Use bananas that are firm but ripe. To decrease the fat in this pie, use a nonfat whipped topping in place of the whipped cream.
- Graham cracker crust:
- 18 Graham cracker squares
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cup whole-milk, divided
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas (1 pound total weight), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- For the crust, place crackers in a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Add sugar, cinnamon and butter and process 10 to 15 seconds. Add egg white and pulse rapidly about 10 times, until crumbs are moist. Coat a 9-inch pie plate lightly with cooking spray. Press crumbs firmly onto sides and bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes or until light brown and fragrant. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the filling, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Add egg yolks and 1/2 cup milk; whisk until smooth. Heat remaining 1 3/4 cup milk in microwave until very hot, about 2 minutes. Whisk into cornstarch mixture. Place pan over medium heat and stir until thick and boiling. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Spread about 1/2 cup cooled custard in crust. Arrange sliced bananas evenly over the custard; spoon remaining custard over top. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, whip cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla until thick. Spread evenly over custard. Serve cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.