Atlantic Beach Pie
A saltine cracker crust forms the base for this tart pie.
- 3/4 sleeve saltine crackers
- 4 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice (or 1/4 cup each)
- Sea salt
- 1 heavy cream, whipped
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Crush saltines into very small pieces, using your hands or a food processor. Do not completely pulverize. Add sugar and softened butter, folding and kneading until mixture forms a kind of dough ball. Press into an 8- or 9-inch pie pan. Chill 15 minutes, then bake 15 minutes, until crust is light golden. Let cool while you make the filling. (Note: Crust does not need to be completely cool before adding the filling.)
- Place milk in a mixing bowl. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Slowly pour in the lemon/lime juice while beating until thoroughly incorporated. Pour into pie shell and bake 15 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Let cool and then refrigerate. The pie must be well chilled before slicing. Top with a sprinkling of sea salt (a "chippy" finishing salt, like Maldon salt is terrific) and a healthy dollop of unsweetened whipped cream.