Apple Walnut Brown Betty
Similar to a cobbler or bread pudding, a “betty” is made with layers of sugared, spiced fruit and buttered breadcrumbs.
- 6 large apples, peeled, sliced in ¼-inch slices (Fuji, Gala, Delicious), about 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 ounce cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 slice whole-grain bread
- 2 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoon butter
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine apples, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cranberry juice, cranberries and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until fruit is softened but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse to form coarse crumbs.
- Combine breadcrumbs, walnuts, oats, butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl, working mixture with your fingers to blend. Sprinkle over apples and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.