Irish Boxty With Smoked Trout
Tender potato pancakes flavored with smoked trout and fresh dill. Delicious.
Boxty are traditional Irish potato pancakes. A starchy potato, like the Russet, is best for this recipe. It helps keeps the boxty together and crisp up in the butter. If you don’t have a potato masher, you can use a whisk. Just be careful not overwork the cooked potatoes or the batter will get too stiff.
- 1/2 pound cooked potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shredded raw potato
- 8 ounce crumbled smoked trout
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill fronds, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Sour Cream
- In large mixing bowl, mash together cooked potatoes and buttermilk. Add flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mash together. Stir in raw potato, trout and dill until well combined.
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat. Using ice cream scoop, carefully drop boxty batter into pan and brown on both sides. Garnish with fresh dill and serve with sour cream.