Tomato-Basil Savory Bread Pudding
This bread pudding stars caramelized onions, fresh tomatoes and cheese.
- 1 (1-pound) loaf day-old French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 pound fresh tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced onions, caramelized (about 3 1/2 pounds fresh)
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place bread cubes in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a food processor, pulse tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt and pepper until tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Add to bread bread cubes. Fold in caramelized onions and arugula.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Pour over bread mixture and allow to stand at least 20 minutes.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.