Bacon Cheddar Scones from Chef Grady Spears
These savory scones, with a kick from jalapeno peppers, are perfect for an indulgent Sunday breakfast or brunch.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 5 to 6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or heavy cream, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon milk
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and sugar in a large bowl. Gradually cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the cheese, just until combined. Add green onions, jalapeños, bacon, and 1/3 cup buttermilk. Mix by hand just until all the ingredients are incorporated. If the dough is too dry to hold together, use remaining buttermilk, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Mix as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a light-textured scone.
- Place dough on a lightly floured board. Pat dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatten dough into a circle about 7 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a small bowl and brush tops of each scone.
- Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.