Spanish Rice with Tomatoes and Oregano
The tomato and oregano transform simple rice into a spectacular side dish.
Spanish rice is prepared by browning rice first with onions and garlic before cooking it in chicken broth. If your kids like green beans, double the amount.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small tomato, finely diced
- 1/4 cup diced green beans
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans; cook 3 minutes. Add rice, oregano and salt; stir well and cook 1 minute, until rice is lightly browned.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 15 to 25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.