Broccoli Cheese Soup
A soup for all seasons, this cheesy broccoli soup can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (white and light green parts)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 8 cup coarsely cut broccoli florets and thinly sliced peeled stems (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Fontina or Gruyère cheese
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is softened, about 6 minutes. Add broccoli, broth and 3 cups water; mix to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return to pot; stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper and heat until hot. Stir in cheese. Makes about 7 cups.