Spinach Mushroom Polenta Casserole
With its rich layers, this casserole comes together quickly, using prepared polenta.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 8 ounce fresh baby spoon spinach
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 (8-ounce) tube prepared polenta, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Stir in spinach, thyme, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour, and cook over medium-high heat. Add broth and cream and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour over spinach.
- Arrange polenta slices on top of spinach and sauce in overlapping concentric circles, pressing to submerge polenta slightly. Sprinkle shredded cheeses over polenta. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and preheat broiler.
- Uncover polenta and broil 6 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.