Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup
A hearty, filling beef soup for the cold winter nights.
You can use quick-cooking barley here to save time, but we like the chewiness of whole barley. You can find it next to the rice in supermarkets. Toss in some greens at the end for a splash of color.
- ½ lb Boneless Sirloin Steak
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Diced Onion
- 1 cup Diced Carrot
- 12 oz Mushrooms
- ½ cup Barley
- 10.5 oz Fat Free, Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 5 cup Water
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cup Swiss Chard (optional)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef and sauté until brown. Add onion and carrots; cook, mixing occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, mixing occasionally, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add barley, broth, water, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in Swiss chard, if using, and cook 5 minutes. Makes about 6 cups.